If you’re having trouble with HDD bad sector errors and can’t run chkdsk, or no idea how to run check disk system on your PC. Then you just stopped at the right spot. We will guide you through the various ways to perform Chkdsk task. It’s simple and easy!
CHKDSK is a short form for check disk and it is a system tool of DOS, OS/2 and windows. CHKDSK can be run from windows command prompt, windows powershell or DOS prompt. This process fixes the logical file system errors while verifying the file system integrity of the volume. It’s quite similar as fsck command in Unix. So, now please follow the instructions given below.
How to Run CHKDSK in command prompt?
- This is the closer look of how the command chkdsk looks in your command prompt
- Open your command prompt by simply clicking on your start button and type “cmd” and right click on it to run as “administrator”.
- And in that command window, type “chkdsk” as shown in the picture above.
- Also, you can type “chkdsk [volume[[path]filename]]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X] [/I] [/C] [/L[:size]] [/B] [/scan] [/spotfix]”
- Now this process of check disk utility will scan through all your hard drive and finds the errors with fixing them all.
- In this check disk utility’s command line, volume refers to the specific drive as C: / D: / F: etc. And filenames are like the fragments which are based as FAT/FAT32 system to check.
- To know more about the command lines of check disk utility. You can simply get it by typing “chkdsk /?” In your command prompt.
Understanding the common CHKDSK command line to fix or repair the errors
The “chkdsk” command line will only scan and report the errors, but won’t actually repair them. To fix the error you have to type the following command line as needed.
- Command line “chkdsk c: /f”
- This command performs checks and fix the errors detected like in the figure above. Sometimes you need to reboot your system.
- Type this command in your command prompt to repair all your logical file system errors during scanning.
- But you should remember that, this process won’t scan for the bad sectors of your hard drive.
- Command line “chkdsk c: /r”
- Type this command perform the bad sector scanning
- If you want to perform both repairing and bad sector scanning process at the same time, you can type the command line like this chkdsk c:/r/f and hit enter to perform.
- Command line “chkdsk c: /x”
- This command line is used to stop or cancel the check disk utility as it forces the volume to dismount
Method 2: Purely for windows 10’s disk check and repair
- Press windows key and X to bring the power user menu
- Now click the command prompt (Admin) section to open the windows with administrative privileges.
- You should click Yes if asked with UAC window, which pops up with administrative requests.
- And in that command prompt window type “chkdsk C:/f/r/x”
- This process of check disk utility will check and repair and disk errors in your windows 10. To where (/f) refers to parameter that tell chkdsk to fix all the errors that is found, (/r) makes it to locate all the bad sectors of your hard drive and recover the information that’s readable and (/x) forces the drive to dismount or cancel the disk check utility process.
When to run the CHKDSK utility?
Mostly, CHKDSK should be run on following instances:
- When a bad sector of your hard drive is troubling you reading files.
- When mechanical or internal failures like grinding sounds coming from your hard drive.
- When your system freezes completely, or your screen blacks out several times.